The rich vegetable soup to accompany your eba, pounded yam, semo-vita or even rice!
- Spinach (Shoko) leaves, 1 big bunch
- Palm Oil, 4 cooking spoons
- Fish, Beef, or Chicken, 1 kilo
- Stock fish, 1 medium piece
- Fresh chili pepper, 4 large
- Fresh tomatoes, 2 large
- Fresh tatashe (red bell pepper), 4 large
- Onion, 2 medium bulbs
- Seasoning, 2 cubes
- Iru (locust beans), 1 small wrap
- Salt to taste
- Soak the stock fish in water for 15 to 30 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Blend the peppers, tomatoes, and onion to a paste and set aside.
- Wash the meat and cook with onion, seasoning, and salt. You may add some water.
- Remove the thick stems from the shoko leaves, was and chop.
- Heat palm oil in a pot, add the blended pepper paste. Allow to fry for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Now, add the stockfish, and the boiled meat along with the meat stock. Add in the washed iru. Stir well and taste to check if the spice is adequate. You may add more seasoning or salt. Allow all to cook for 5 more minutes.
- Finally add your chopped shoko leaves, stir well, and allow to simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Your Efo Riro is ready. Serve and enjoy with boiled rice and any staple of your choice.