This is a traditional soup of the eastern part of Nigeria mainly umuahia.
- 200ml palm oil
600g fresh meat (dry fish, beef, goat meat or a mix)
- 5tablespoon of achi or ukpo
- 1 bunch of okazi leaves, stripped off the stem and sliced ground hot chilli powder, to taste
- 2 seasoning cubes
- salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoon ground, dried, crayfish (prawns)
- 300g stock fish, (dried fish), soaked in water and parboiled for 30 minutes to soften
- 300g smoked fish, washed and flaked
(Okazi Soup) Preparation:
Wash and rinse your pot with clean water
Season the meat with Maggi, and salt. Place in a pot and cook until the meat release its juices. Add palm oil.
Add the ground ukpo or achi then bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the stock fish, dried fish, locust bean, chilli powder, Maggi cubes and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add crayfish and season to taste with salt, then add the okazi leaves and cook for 10 minutes.
Serve with pounded yam, fufu, garri etc.