Everyone loves Suya – the hot, spicy, peppered meat with the unique groundnut flavour. This is the reason Suya Spots are everywhere in Nigeria!
Kitchen Gear Needed
Oven or barbecue grill
- Beef, 1 kilogram, sliced thinly
- Roasted Groundnuts, 1 cup
- Dry pepper, 4 tablespoons
- Onion, sliced or diced
- Tomato, sliced
- Cucumber, 1 head, chopped
- Seasoning, 1-2 cubes
- Salt to taste
- Optional, Ground Ginger, one-half teaspoon
- Crush the groundnuts with rolling pin or pound in small mortar (you may use a food processor). You need this dry so do not add water.
- Mix the dry pepper, ground ginger, seasoning, and salt with the groundnut powder.
- Pour half of the spice mix in a bowl.
- Add the meat slices into the bowl and coat completely with the spice. Allow to stand for 30 minutes so that the spice can get into the meat.
- Place the meat on skewers and set over a hot grill to cook for about 30 minutes or until done. Make sure to turn the sides repeatedly until well cooked.
- Serve with the sliced onion, tomato, cucumber, and your leftover groundnut spice. Some folks even have it as bread and suya!