Tuwo Shinkafa is a popular rice meal of the Hausa and Fulani peoples of Northern Nigeria.
- Rice, Soft Short/Medium Grain, 4 cups
- Salt, 1 tablespoon
- Wash rice and pour in a deep pot.
- Pour enough water to cover the rice and cook at medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Check to see if rice is cooked, add 1 tablespoon of salt, and add a little more water to cook for another 5-10 minutes. Your aim is to cook the rice until very soft to the extent the grains become almost mushy. Once achieved, make sure the rice is mostly dry or drain away excess water.
- Now, use a wooden spatula to stir and turn the rice until the grains become a consistent, sticky ball.
- Add some water, cover and allow to steam for about 2 minutes.
- Your Tuwo Shinkafa is ready! Serve and enjoy with any Nigerian soup.